This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Kymac 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #152

    Kymac
    Keymaster

    DEVLOG 2

    Its been a few weeks since my initial devlog for ‘Help Me Help You’ and things have been going well. Level creation is moving along nicely. Only a few secret areas need to be finished up then I will be starting a first pass of optimization. As it stands now on my gaming rig, the game runs at around 40 fps, but on my severely underpowered laptop it only gets about 10-15 fps. I’d like to get that up to at least 30 for the laptop and 60 for the gaming rig after the first pass of optimization. One thing I really need to do, even though it wont help fps, is cleanup my main project file as I move forward because as any developer will know, things change. Ideas get scrapped, new ideas emerge, models no longer fit in with the game, new models get made and used, and all the old stuff (unless you are really vigilant about it) gets left and lost in the project files. Now this is all fine and dandy until you look at how big the file size is getting, especially if you transfer that file from machine to machine a lot. Plus, OneDrive is SLOW. Cleaning up the project files isn’t really a problem but it is something I’ll have to do so I thought I’d mention it.

    Last week I was hard at work on some story aspects that are really starting to come together. Now, I don’t want to give much of anything away at this stage but the devlog picture for this post may be slightly teasing in good light.

    As I type this Unity is updating to 5.3.5, and with that the game will move to version 0.02 as long as i have no complications with the Unity update. Just in case though HMHY v0.01 is saved and is still using Unity 5.3.4 if for any reason I need to revert back to it.

    Next week I hope to have a few screenshots and a little story information for you so stay tuned!

    That’s it for this week. Thanks for reading!

    KM


    DEVLOG 1

    I started this project about a week ago after my previous couple projects proved to be too ambitious for just one man. This time I severely scaled down on what the end map size would be and chose to go the route of a semi-linear story, rather than a wide open choose your own adventure type of gameplay. I have many reasons for doing this but I won’t go into those here. This project is being developed in Unity and I use GIMP and Blender for image manipulation and modeling.

    I was able to fully prototype my map in a few days with preliminary terrain shaping, basic water, and simply blocking everything out. I had a fairly clear view in my mind of what I wanted everything to look like and blocking it all out really helped me see what I liked and what I didn’t. After I finished prototyping I started searching for the assets I would need in order to move to the next phase. This next phase is like prototyping part 2. I find assets that are close to what I need and replace the phase 1 blocks with the phase 2 assets. Now my level is really starting to come together. I was able to find some assets that were exactly what I needed so those assets are considered phase 3 (final) assets. Others weren’t quite what I had in mind so once phase 2 was done it was time to either modify or replace the assets that I wasn’t happy with. One was a barn (which I’m still working on), one was a two story house, and another was a large warehouse, among other smaller ones. Once the assets all looked acceptable, the terrain needed some touching up and some more foliage was added (not finished though). Now onto the detail work and fleshing out the story.

    DevLog 2 coming next week.

    Short Rant:

    Quaternions. A few days ago I spent like 3 hours trying to get a damn buoy to bob and roll correctly. I felt like the meme of the guy from Ancient Aliens with the crazy hair and the caption just says ‘quaternions’. It just wouldn’t roll the way I expected it to. Yeah well then I felt incredibly dumb when I realized all I had to do was use ‘localRotation’ instead of just ‘rotation’. FacePalm!

    Thanks for reading!

    KM

    • This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  Kymac.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  Kymac.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  Kymac.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  Kymac.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  Kymac.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.