HMHY DevLog 1 (6/7/16)
I started this project about a week ago after my previous couple projects proved to be too ambitious for just one man. This time I severely scaled down on what the end map size would be and chose to go the route of a semi-linear story, rather than a wide open choose your own adventure type of gameplay. I have many reasons for doing this but I won’t go into those here. This project is being developed in Unity and I use GIMP and Blender for image manipulation and modeling.
I was able to fully prototype my map in a few days with preliminary terrain shaping, basic water, and simply blocking everything out. I had a fairly clear view in my mind of what I wanted everything to look like and blocking it all out really helped me see what I liked and what I didn’t. After I finished prototyping I started searching for the assets I would need in order to move to the next phase. This next phase is basically prototyping part 2. I find some assets that are close to what I need and replace the phase 1 blocks with the phase 2 assets. Now my level is really starting to come together. I was able to find a few assets that were exactly what I needed so those assets are considered phase 3 (final) assets. Others weren’t quite what I had in mind so once phase 2 was done it was time to either modify or replace the assets that I wasn’t happy with. One was a barn (which I’m still working on), one was a two story house, and another was a large warehouse, among other smaller ones. Once the assets all looked acceptable, the terrain needed some touching up and some more foliage was added (not finished though). Now onto the detail work and fleshing out the story.
DevLog 2 coming next week.
Quaternions. A few days ago I spent like 3 hours trying to get a damn buoy to bob and roll correctly. Tweaking the values this way and that. I felt like the meme of the guy from Ancient Aliens with the crazy hair and the caption just says ‘quaternions’. It just wouldn’t roll the way I expected it to. Yeah well then I felt incredibly dumb when I realized all I had to do was use ‘localRotation’ instead of just ‘rotation’. FacePalm!
Thanks for reading!